The Chairperson of Commission
Deputy Chief Justice Zondo
Judicial Commission of Inquity into State Capture
17 Empire Rd
Dear Deputy-Chief Justice
Commission’s Breach of My Constitutional Right to Procedural Fairness
- I am Pinky Khoabane, an adult female residing in Johannesburg. I’m a writer and publisher of a blog UnCensored www.uncensoredopinion.co.za
- On 28 January 2019, I heard through social media that Angelo Agrizzi had named me as one of three journalists who were on the payroll of Bosasa.
- I was never informed by the Commission prior to this testimony that I would be implicated in his testimony.
- Angelo Agrizzi had on the Friday 25 January 2019 testified that journalists were paid by Bosasa. The evidence leader did not ask him to name these journalists but he then mentioned them four days later he mentions my name. This is defamatory, untrue and very damaging to my reputation especially since it is not true and Angelo Agrizzi knows it is not true. My view is that his mentioning of my name is revenge for me publishing the audio tape wherein he uses racist language including the k word against his former African colleagues and his relationship with certain journalists.
- The Commission has breached my Constitutional Right to procedural fairness.
- I request as a matter of urgency that the Commission questions him on the audio tapes and his mentioning of me and that I have an opportunity now to cross-examine him on his defamatory allegation about me.
- I did not know the Watsons or had anything to do with Bosasa prior to the audio which was circulated including to media and at least one Sunday paper dealt with it on their front page. I contacted the spokesperson of the company in my capacity as a journalist in October 2018 to establish the authenticity of the audio. That is the first and only contact I have had with anyone at bosasa. I have never met Angelo Agrizzi and have never spoken to him prior to the audio tape.
- I am seeking legal advice but due to the fact that I understand he is completing his evidence today and there is no guarantee that he will be recalled to the witness stand for cross examination, I want to have the opportunity to cross examine him today.
NB: I enclose the recordings mentioned above.