By Thabiso Dlamini.
Last year Thabiso Dlamini looked at the composition of some of the companies which make huge sums of money from Black Friday. He looked at these companies this year and very little has changed.
- Massmart Holdings Ltd which is one of the largest retailers in SA is 52,4% owned by Wal-Mart Stores Inc (USA).
- Aberdeen Asset Managers Ltd – 9.91%
- Public Investment Corp. Ltd. – 5.91%
- Templeton Asset Management Ltd. (Hong Kong) – 2.55%
- Northern Trust Investments, Inc. – 2.00%
- The Vanguard Group, Inc.- 1.68%
- Harding Loevner LP – 1.46%
- Dimensional Fund Advisors LP – 0.97%
- Lombard Odier Asset Management (Switzerland)
- SA – 0.92% Skagen AS – 0.89%
This is their Executive Committee.
This is Massmart
- Shoprite (Shoprite Holdings Ltd.) remains the largest retailer in South Africa and is owned as follows:
Dr. Christo Wiese – 15.4%
PIC – 12.1%
Shoprite Holdings Ltd. – 6.44%
Lazard Asset Management LLC – 3.12%
Oppenheimer Funds Inc. – 2.68%
Plus other shareholders
Shoprite Holdings Ltd. Directors.
Note how Jacob Wiese (Christo Wiese’s son) and Adrian Basson (Former CEO Whitey Basson’s son) are being groomed to take over.
This is Shoprite Holdings
- Pick n Pay Stores Ltd. is one of the largest retailers in South Africa and is owned as follows:
Ackerman Family – 25.5%
PIC – 11%
Genesis Investment Management LLP – 3.10%
The Vanguard Group, Inc. – 2.54%
Liberty Group Ltd. – 2.26%
Pick ‘n Pay Stores Ltd. – 1.94%
The Pick n Pay Board of Directors and Group Executives
- SPAR is one of the largest retailers in South Africa and is owned as follows:
Note that 49% of SPAR is owned by offshore investors. (2016)
Spar Board of Directors
- Woolworths Holdings Ltd. is one of the largest retailers in SA and is owned as follows:
PIC – 15.3%
Woolworths Holdings Ltd. – 8.04%
GIC Pte Ltd. – 5.25%
Northern Trust Global Investments Ltd. – 2.93%
Lazard Asset Management LLC. – 2.47%
The Vanguard Group, Inc. – 1.55%
Woolworths Holdings Ltd. Directorate
This is Woolworths Holdings Ltd
- The Foschini Group is one of the leading clothing retailers in SA & is owned as follows:
Coronation Asset Management (Pty) Ltd. – 17.6%
PIC – 14.2%
Sanlam Investment Management (Pty) Ltd. – 5.09%
Lewlef Investments Pty Ltd. – 4.08%
Northern Trust Global Investments Ltd. – 3.60%
The Foschini Group Ltd. Operating Board
This is Foschini.
- Edcon is one of the leading Non-Food retailers in SA, following it’s debt restructuring in 2016 Edcon is owned as follows:
Franklin Templeton (USA), Havard Pension Fund (USA) + Other Foreign Investors – 70%
Barclays Africa, Investec Bank and Rand Merchant Bank – +/- 30%
The Edcon Board and Group Management Executives
This is Edcon
- Truworths is one of the leading clothing retailers in SA & is owned as follows:
PIC – 14.5%
Aberdeen Asset Managers Ltd. (Scotland) – 9.56%
Schroder Investment Management Ltd. (UK) – 4.78%
Northern Trust Global Investments Ltd. (USA) – 4.48%
Truworths Executive Directors
Directors sourced from websites of the individual companies.